“...a tennis center for tennis players” since 1924
A History of Collaboration
In September 1924, courts 1 to 5 were completed and opened with an afternoon exhibition featuring Pat O’Hara Wood, Australian Davis Cup challenger. The next year, 4 more courts and the clubhouse were completed. The entire project reported to cost $22,000. The first year the Center attracted around 100 members. Today’s membership nears 200 and includes social tennis players as well as more competitive-minded players.
OPTC is a not-for-profit corporation working in collaboration with the Forest Preserve District of Cook County committed to the upkeep and maintenance of the courts, clubhouse and property to provide the only public recreational clay court tennis facility open to the public with no restrictions, and through volunteerism, to promote the game of tennis in our community. OPTC embraces the Forest Preserve District mission to offer superior recreational facilities and opportunities that can be enjoyed by all members of the public of Cook County.
OPTC spends an average of $94,000 per year to manage the facilities and is funded primarily through fund raising efforts and private donations without using taxpayer dollars, and the balance through from annual season pass holder memberships and court usage fees.
Last renovated in 1970, the new improvements include the installation of the state-of-the-art subsurface irrigation system HydroGrid and the HAR TRU clay court surface. The eco-friendly underground watering system cuts water usage and court maintenance in half as well as eliminating court down time as the courts are no longer shut down for watering. The cost for these improvements is approximately $400,000 and is paid for by a capital improvement fund started in 2006 to raise the monies through donations and fundraising. The new system was installed by Midwest Tennis Courts of Westmont, IL, in conjunction with Welch Tennis Courts, Inc. of Sun City, FL.
2010 Court Improvements
For More Info